Use of Credit and Procurement Cards
The Director and employees designated by the Director are authorized to use System credit and procurement cards to simplify the acquisition, receipt, and payment of purchases and travel expenses incurred on the System’s behalf. Credit and procurement cards shall only be used for those expenses that are for the System’s benefit and serve a valid and proper public purpose; they shall not be used for personal purchases. Cardholders are responsible for exercising due care and judgment and for acting in the System’s best interests.
The Director or designee shall manage the use of System credit and procurement cards by employees. It is the Board’s responsibility, through the audit and approval process, to determine whether System credit and procurement card use by the Director is appropriate.
In addition to the other limitations contained in this and other Board policies, System credit and procurement cards are governed by the following restrictions:
- Credit and/or procurement cards may only be used to pay certain job-related expenses or to make purchases on behalf of the Board or System or any student activity fund, or for purposes that would otherwise be addressed through a conventional revolving fund.
- The Director or designee shall instruct the issuing bank to block the cards’ use at unapproved merchants.
- Each administrative cardholder, other than the Director, may charge no more than $500 in a single purchase and no more than $3000 (limit per month) within a given month without prior authorization from the Director.
- School procurement card, may charge no more than $300 in a single purchase and no more than $2500 (limit per month) collectively within a given month without prior authorization from the Director.
- The Director or designee must approve the use of a System credit or procurement card whenever such use is by telephone, fax, and the Internet. Permission shall be withheld when the use violates any Board policy, is from a vendor whose reputation has not been verified, or would be more expensive than if another available payment method were used.
- The consequences for unauthorized purchases include, but are not limited to, reimbursing the System for the purchase amount, loss of cardholding privileges, and, if made by an employee, discipline up to and including discharge.
- All cardholders must sign a statement affirming that they are familiar with this policy.
- The Director shall implement a process whereby all purchases using a System credit or procurement card are reviewed and approved by someone other than the cardholder or someone under the cardholder’s supervision.
- Cardholders must submit the original, itemized receipt to document all purchases.
- No individual may use a System credit or procurement card to make purchases in a manner contrary to State law, including, but not limited to, the bidding and other purchasing requirements in 105 ILCS 5/10-20.21, or any Board policy.
- The Superintendent or designee shall account for any financial or material reward or rebate offered by the company or institution issuing the District credit or procurement card and shall ensure that it is used for the District’s benefit.
|LEGAL REF.:||105 ILCS 5/10-20.21.|
23 Ill.Admin.Code §100.70(d).
|CROSS REF.:||4:50 (Payment Procedures), 4:60 (Purchases and
Contracts), 4:80 (Accounting and Audits), 4:90 (Activity Funds)|
|ADAPTED:||December 18, 2014|