6:80 Teaching About Controversial Issues
Please refer to the applicable collective bargaining agreement(s).
For employees not covered by a current applicable bargaining agreement:
The Director shall ensure that all school-sponsored presentations and discussions of controversial or sensitive topics in the instructional program, including those made by guest speakers, are:
- Age-appropriate. Proper decorum, considering the students’ ages, should be followed.
- Consistent with the curriculum and serve an educational purpose.
- Informative and present a balanced view.
- Respectful of the rights and opinions of everyone. Emotional criticisms and hurtful sarcasm should be avoided.
- Not tolerant of profanity or slander.
The System specifically reserves its right to stop any school-sponsored activity that it determines violates this policy, is harmful to the System or the students, or violates State or federal law.
CROSS REF.: 6:40 (Curriculum Development), 6:255 (Assemblies and Ceremonies)
Adopted: June 18, 2020