Operational ServicesSafety and Security
All DAOES operations, including the education program, shall be conducted in a manner that will promote the safety and security of everyone on System property or at a System event. The Director or designee shall develop, implement, and maintain a comprehensive safety and security plan that includes, without limitation:
- An emergency operations and crisis response plan(s) addressing prevention, preparation, response, and recovery for each school;
- Provisions for a coordinated effort with local law enforcement and fire officials, emergency medical services personnel, and the Board Attorney;
- A school safety drill plan;
- Instruction in safe bus riding practices; and
- A clear, rapid, factual, and coordinated system of internal and external communication.
In the event of an emergency that threatens the safety of any person or property, students and staff are encouraged to follow the best practices discussed for their building regarding the use of any available cellular telephones.
School Safety Drill Plan
During every academic year, each school building that houses school children shall conduct, at a minimum, each of the following in accordance with the School Safety Drill Act (105 ILCS 128/):
- Three school evacuation drills to address and prepare students and school personnel for fire incidents. One of these three drills shall require the participation of the local fire department or DAOES.
- One bus evacuation drill.
- One severe weather and shelter-in-place drill to address and prepare students and school personnel for possible tornado incidents.
- One law enforcement drill to address a school shooting incident and to evaluate the preparedness of school personnel and students. This drill shall occur no later than 90 days after the first day of school of each year, and shall require the participation of all school personnel and students present at school at the time of the drill, except for those exempted by administrators or school support personnel.
The Board or its designee will annually review each school building’s emergency operations and crisis response plan(s), protocols, and procedures, as well as each building’s compliance with the school safety drill plan. This annual review shall be in accordance with the School Safety Drill Act (105 ILCS 128/) and the Joint Rules of the Office of the State Fire Marshal and the Illinois State Board of Education (29 Ill.Admin.Code Part 1500).
Carbon Monoxide Alarms
The Director or designee shall implement a plan with the System’s local fire officials to:
- Determine which school buildings to equip with approved carbon monoxide alarms or carbon monoxide detectors,
- Locate the required carbon monoxide alarms or carbon monoxide detectors within 20 feet of a carbon monoxide emitting device, and
- Incorporate carbon monoxide alarm or detector activation procedures into each school building that requires a carbon monoxide alarm or detector. The Director or designee shall ensure each school building annually reviews these procedures.
The Director is authorized to close school(s) in the event of hazardous weather or other emergency that threatens the safety of students, staff members, or school property.
105 ILCS 5/10-20.2, 5/10-20.57, 5/18-12, and 5/18-12.5.
105 ILCS 128/, School Safety Drill Act, implemented by 29 Ill.Admin.Code Part 1500.
210 ILCS 74/, Physical Fitness Facility Medical Emergency Preparedness Act.
225 ILCS 320/35.5, Ill. Plumbing License Law.
CROSS REF.: 4:110 (Transportation), 4:175 (Convicted Child Sex Offender; Criminal Background Check and/or Screen; Notifications), 4:180 (Pandemic Preparedness), 5:30 (Hiring Process and Criteria), 8:30 (Visitors to and Conduct on School Property), 8:100 (Relations with Other Organizations and Agencies)
Adopted: June 18, 2020