All DAOES operations, including the education program, shall be conducted in a manner that will promote the safety and security of everyone on System property or at a System event. The Director or designee shall develop, implement, and maintain a comprehensive safety and security plan that includes, without limitation:
In the event of an emergency that threatens the safety of any person or property, students and staff are encouraged to follow the best practices discussed for their building regarding the use of any available cellular telephones.
- An emergency operations plan(s) addressing prevention, preparation, response, and recovery for each school;
- Provisions for a coordinated effort with local law enforcement and fire officials, emergency medical services personnel, and the Board Attorney;
- A school safety drill plan;
- Instruction in safe bus riding practices; and
- A clear, rapid, factual, and coordinated system of internal and external communication.
During every academic year, each school building that houses school children shall conduct, at a minimum, each of the following in accordance with the School Safety Drill Act, 105 ILCS 128/:
The Director is authorized to close school(s) in the event of hazardous weather or other emergency that threatens the safety of students, staff members, or school property.
- Three school evacuation drills
- One bus evacuation drill
- One severe weather and shelter-in-place drill
- One law enforcement drill
The Board or its designee will annually review each school building’s safety and security plans, protocols, and procedures, as well as each building’s compliance with the school safety drill plan.
LEGAL REF.: 105 ILCS 5/10-20.2, 5/18-12, 5/18-12.5, and 128/.
210 ILCS 74/, Physical Fitness Facility Medical Emergency Preparedness Act.
CROSS REF.: 4:110 (Transportation), 4:175 (Convicted Child Sex Offender; Criminal Background Check and/or Screen; Notifications), 4:180 (Pandemic Preparedness), 5:30 (Hiring Process and Criteria), 8:30 (Visitors to and Conduct on School Property), 8:100 (Relations with Other Organizations and Agencies) ADOPTED: November 20, 2014