Student TeachersThe Director is authorized to accept students from university-approved teacher-training programs to do student teaching at DAOES. No individual who has been convicted of a criminal offense that would subject him or her to license suspension or revocation pursuant to Section 5/21B-80 of the School Code or who has been found to be the perpetrator of sexual or physical abuse of a minor under 18 years of age pursuant to proceedings under Article II of the Juvenile Court Act of 1987 is permitted to student teach.
Before permitting an individual to student teach, begin a required internship, or participate in any field experience in the System, the Director or designee shall ensure that:
- The System performed a 105 ILCS 5/10-21.9(g) Check as described below; and
- The individual furnished evidence of physical fitness to perform assigned duties and freedom from communicable disease pursuant to 105 ILCS 5/24-5.
A 105 ILCS 5/21.9(g) Check shall include:
- Fingerprint-based checks through (a) the Illinois State Police (ISP) for criminal history records information (CHRI) pursuant to the Uniform Conviction Information Act (20 ILCS 2635/1), and (b) the FBI national crime information databases pursuant to the Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act (P.L. 109-248);
- A check of the Illinois Sex Offender Registry (see the Sex Offender Community Notification Law (730 ILCS 152/101 et seq.); and
- A check of the Illinois Murderer and Violent Offender Against Youth Registry (Murderer and Violent Offender Against Youth Community Notification Law (730 ILCS 154/75-105).
The School Code requires each individual student teaching or beginning a required internship to provide DAOES with written authorization for, and pay the costs of, his or her 105 ILCS 5/21.9(g) check (including any applicable vendor’s fees). Upon receipt of this authorization and payment, the Director or designee will submit the student teacher’s name, sex, race, date of birth, social security number, fingerprint images, and other identifiers, as prescribed by the Department of State Police, to the Department of State Police. The Director or designee will provide each student teacher with a copy of his or her report.
The Director or designee shall be responsible for coordinating placements of all student teachers within DAOES. Student teachers should be assigned to supervising teachers whose qualifications are acceptable to DAOES and the students’ respective colleges or universities.
LEGAL REF.: Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act, P.L. 109-248.
Uniform Conviction Information Act, 20 ILCS 2635/1.
105 ILCS 5/10-21.9, 5/10-22.34, and 5/24-5.
CROSS REF.: 5:190 (Teacher Qualifications), 4:175 (Convicted Child Sex Offender; Screening; Notifications)
ADOPTED: January 19, 2017